PARK RIDGE, N.J., Oct. 20, 2011 /PRNewswire/ -- Hertz (NYSE: HTZ) announces today the expansion of its car sharing service, Hertz On Demand (www.HertzOnDemand.com), in the Boston market with a 'Give It Up, Get More' promotion. Beginning today, local residents can sign up online, and start reserving cars from one of Hertz On Demand's local hubs to experience the enhanced member benefits offered by this car sharing club, including:
- NEW: Elimination of late fees. Hertz On Demand members will not receive punitive charges/late fees for the late return of a vehicle(1)
- Free membership. Hertz On Demand has no enrollment fee or annual membership fee, and offers low hourly and daily rates
- "Give it Up, Get More" Promotion: Through December 31, 2011, members joining Hertz On Demand who mail their membership card from any US competitor receives $75 in driving credits to try Hertz On Demand (available for all Hertz On Demand locations/markets in the US). Visit www.hertzondemand.com for details.
- The introduction of a membership kiosk in Boston (414 Cambridge Street, Allston) so residents can sign up on the spot
- Rental fleet options including the Nissan Altima and Jeep Liberty. Hertz On Demand also plans to add Fiat 500 vehicles to its Boston fleet in the coming weeks
- 180 miles a day(2), gas and insurance included in rates
- Daily rates on Hertz rental cars for longer trips; Ability to rent a car for up to 30 days
- Unparalleled member service including 24/7 live, in-car assistance from a team of Hertz Member Care experts
(Logo: http://photos.prnewswire.com/prnh/20110810/NY50373LOGO )
"By expanding Hertz On Demand in Boston, we are able to offer local residents a new car sharing option that costs less while at the same time provides greater choice and unequalled customer service," commented Mark P. Frissora, Chairman and Chief Executive Officer, The Hertz Corporation. "Hertz is committed to redefining the car sharing industry, and offering unmatched member-centric services such as the elimination of late fees, as well as membership and annual fees. By utilizing the resources we have as the leading global car rental company – including best-in-class technology – we are making strides to bring the future of car sharing to life for our customers."
Hertz On Demand provides members a quick, easy and convenient option to rent a car spontaneously and currently has 7 locations in the Boston area:
- 414 Cambridge Street, Allston, MA (Hertz Local Edition location equipped with member kiosk)
- 166 Terrace St, Boston MA (Oliver Lofts)
- 7 Seaport Drive, Quincy, MA (Marina Bay)
- 390 Congress Street, Boston, MA (Open Air Parking Lot)
- 126 Dartmouth Street, Boston, MA (Dartmouth Street Parking Garage, Copley Place)
- 31 Eliot Street, Cambridge, MA (Harvard Square Parking Garage)
- 100 Cambridgeside Galleria, Cambridge, MA (Galleria Mall)
Hertz On Demand provides an economical, convenient and socially conscious alternative to car ownership. The service is a pay-as-you-go system, providing members with 24/7 access to vehicles strategically located throughout their city. It has approximately 70,000 members, is available in six countries and on approximately 50 university campuses. Hertz On Demand offers its members products and services that are unmatched in the car sharing industry, including:
- The elimination of all membership and renewal fees in the U.S. and Europe
- One-way car sharing rentals between 175 locations in the Northeast U.S.
- Guaranteed availability. Monday through Thursday, in New York City, coming to Boston over the next few weeks.
- An expanded car sharing fleet with new vehicles added to the service. The U.S. fleet has been refreshed to include luxury cars, including the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid, Buick Enclave and GMC Acadia; and cars for moving, including the Ford Transit Connect and the Nissan Titan pick-up truck.
- Simplified reservation process. www.Hertzondemand.com is newly redesigned, with a simplified reservation process, including one way map routing and reservations, enhanced search capabilities, faster page load times and enhanced details about car makes and models
- Unparalleled Member Service. Hertz On Demand's industry leading, proprietary in-car technology provides members a safe and superior in-car experience. Upon enrolling, members receive a smart chip enabled card which gives them keyless entry to any reserved car. In the vehicle, a hands-free audio kit connects members to Hertz's in-house Member Care Center - available 24/7, 365 days a year - should they have questions, need assistance or need to extend their reservation. Hertz On Demand "communicates" with the vehicle, enabling representatives to unlock, engage and locate vehicles, cars are equipped with iPod and Bluetooth connectivity, for hands free driving, and EZ Pass transponders
As the only leading global rent-a-car company to offer a car club, Hertz is ideally positioned to offer tailored solutions which are designed to meet the needs of today's businesses. Businesses can reduce expenses and control costs by converting fixed fleet costs into variable costs by only paying for per trip usage. Shared cars can be used for professional purposes, including trips to nearby offices and off-site meetings. And, businesses can give employees a money-saving perk by offering Hertz On Demand cars at work, making cars available for personal usage. Hertz On Demand is able to place cars on corporate sites and offers corporate members the added benefit of classic car rental services. Businesses, government entities with fleet operations, and even companies operating residential buildings, such as apartment blocks, can all benefit by offering employees and tenants car sharing services. Hertz On Demand also serves businesses and organizations including Marriott International, BAA Airports Ltd. and Pricewaterhouse Coopers.
For more information, visit www.HertzOnDemand.com or follow Hertz On Demand on Facebook [www.facebook.com/hertzondemand] or Twitter [www.twitter.com/hertz].
(1) Late returns will only be charged rates for the additional time used in 15 minute intervals (no punitive fees)
(2) Per 24 hour period
About Hertz On Demand
Hertz On Demand, The Hertz Corporation's (NYSE: HTZ) global car sharing club (hourly car rental program), has more than 800 vehicles, 70,000 members and more than 300 locations worldwide, including corporate offices and universities. Hertz On Demand offers vehicles in the Personal, Social and Jet Set Collections; all are available for online reservation at competitive rates. All cars are equipped with Eileo® technology, and benefits covered by the hourly rate include gas, insurance, GPS turn-by-turn navigation, 24/7 roadside assistance, 24-hour Member Care Center communication, and 180 free miles per day. For more information, visit www.hertzondemand.com or call Member Care Services at 877-654-4400.
Hertz On Demand vs. Leading Competitor
Hertz On Demand (US)
$25 (for basic plan)
Annual Membership Fee
$60 (for basic plan)
$50 per hour (minimum charge)
Starting at $5; daily rates at $60
Starting at $8.50; daily rates at $81
Up to 180 per 24 hour period ($0.45 per extra mile)
Member Care Center
24/7; 365 days a year
In house operations staffed by Hertz employees
Evening hours only
RAC Discount/Gold Membership
20% discount on Hertz
- Newer cars
- High end cars like the Cadillac Escalade Hybrid
- EVs in NYC: Chevy Volt, Nissan LEAF, smart EV
EVs on West coast; none in NYC
Cars cleaned after every 2 transactions
Cars cleaned after more than 15 transactions
Added Member Benefits
24/7 in-house Member Care Center
Hertz located all over the country – at the airport, in your neighborhood
Hertz On Demand (US)
One-way to Other Hertz On Demand Locations
One way to Airport
In Car Communication
NeverLost GPS in Every US Car
Smart Control Screen Pad
Rapid Activation Kits
On Site Enrollment Kiosks
SOURCE The Hertz Corporation